The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health) is one of the largest, fastest growing academic health centers in the U.S., with student enrollment expanding more than 40 percent during the last nine years to help meet the critical demand in Texas for health care professionals. The state’s first academic medical center, UTMB Health has been at the forefront of educational, research and clinical excellence since its founding in 1891. Located on Galveston Island along the Texas Gulf Coast, you will enjoy the island life with moderate temperatures and year-round outdoor activities only 50 minutes from all the amenities that Houston has to offer!
UTMB Health offers a great total rewards package including day one medical benefits with no premium for employee coverage, participation in the Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS) with employer contributions, generous paid time off (holiday, vacation and sick leave), and various other perks.
UTMB Health is seeking a Director, Inpatient Care Management to serve as a leader, clinical resource, role model, coach, and facilitator for staff and department operations and function as a central resource to the Assistant Vice President, Care Management to develop strategies which are efficient, effective, timely, patient-centered, and support appropriate financial reimbursement. Oversees daily operations of the Inpatient Care Management team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
– Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates patient needs, discharge planning and case management outcomes for patients and families.
– Utilizes leadership principles in mobilizing the team to achieve positive outcomes.
– Follows up on matters to ensure they are successfully resolved.
– Coordinates and facilitates communication and program development with Director, Outpatient Care Management.
– Work with Health System leadership to develop models of care that integrate care management across the continuum of care.
– Assures staff competence. Contributes to staff performance development and identifies areas of improvement.
– Works with the team members on areas of development by preparing developmental plans and following up to ensure each employee is progressing with the plan.
– Responsible for departmental personnel functions, e.g., coaching, disciplinary action, hiring, on-boarding, and performance management, including performance reviews for staff in the department.
– Participates in employee performance evaluations by providing regular coaching to employees and giving them feedback on their performance, maintaining performance-related information throughout the year, preparing assessments of the employees’ performance for their annual evaluations. Oversees and/or prepares work schedules for department or work group. Ensures adequate coverage and staffing, equitable treatment of staff, and controls work hours.
– Establishes, manages, and constantly evaluates staffing levels, assignments, skills, learning needs, and deployment of staff.
– Addresses Care Management issues, contacting the Assistant Vice President as necessary and/or apprises them of the situation. Refers unusual or potentially broad situations to Assistant Vice President.
– Collaborates with Assistant Vice President regarding fiscal management.
– Assures appropriate resource allocation and maintains staffing levels in accordance with financial targets.
– Provides input into the budget process and resource needs and expense control.
– Assists in the management of the operational budget.
– Conducts individual and/or team meetings ensuring effective two-way communications, keeps group informed, listens to needs and issues, resolves problems or issues brought forward, and follows up with team members and management on issues.
– Promotes positive work environment, holds employees accountable for their conduct and interpersonal skills, and encourages staff development of communications.
– Promotes a culture of service excellence and quality by implementing and accepting accountability for the following service standards:
– Providing excellent service to patients/customers;
– Building strong relationships and team cohesiveness;
– Focusing on quality and positive solutions;
– Communicating respectfully;
– Demonstrating compassion and understanding in response to patient and customer requests/needs.
– Manages professional and clerical employees who work with a range of functions, including but not limited to: access, pre-authorization and pre-certification, utilization review and denial management, care coordination, collaborative treatment planning, discharge planning, tracking of avoidable days and provision of disease management, and contracting internally and externally.
– Partners with physicians and the Physician Advisor(s) to build and maintain effective relationships with physicians, services, specialties, etc.
– Collects key statistics and participates in the maintenance of the Care Management Dashboard, using data to better understand strengths and areas of opportunity of the hospital and department and to determine needs, decisions, and strategies.
– Monitor and evaluate indicators not reaching benchmark. Develop and implement correction plans as approved by Assistant Vice President.
– Manages effective communication systems and forums with third party payers, the local Peer Review Organization/ Quality Improvement Organization PRO/QIO, Medical Records, and the Managed Care and finance offices, Patient Placement Center, Coding and Physicians Billing
– Manages structures and processes to facilitate participation by physicians, physical therapists, clergy, social work, and other health professionals in multidisciplinary care planning, care delivery, and discharge planning.
– Participates in clinical performance improvement activities, including the development of clinical paths, patient/family education programs, collaborative practice groups and other quality initiatives.
– Stays aware of organization developments and initiatives that can be implemented in the department or work group.
– Collaborates with all disciplines, departments, payers, system partners, vendors, and community agencies to optimize clinical outcomes within best practice, ethical, legal, and regulatory parameters.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
RN with Master’s degree in nursing and two years of inpatient experience in a hospital environment. Current license or valid permit to practice professional nursing in Texas.
Five (5) years of acute hospital experience and one (1) year experience in non-hospital based health care setting, such as home health care, insurance, or ambulatory care.
Five (5) years of supervisory experience. Certified Care Manager or Accredited Care Manager.
View the full job description and apply at http://utmb-executive.jobs/.
For questions, contact Audrey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.