As a key member of the interdisciplinary team, the RN Care Coordinator will be responsible for
planning, coordinating, and safely transitioning the acute care patient to the next level of care.
This role is a partner with physicians, nursing, and all ancillary services to ensure quality
outcomes and coordinate the care of the patient and ensure timely utilization of services and
safe and timely transition planning and implementation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates patient needs, discharge planning and Case
Management outcomes for patients and families.
• Utilizes leadership principles in mobilizing the team to achieve positive outcomes.
• Follows up on matters to ensure they are successfully resolved.
• Coordinates and facilitates communication between physicians, nurses, ancillary
services, and the patient.
• Prepares and facilitates a safe, comprehensive, and timely transition plan with adequate
communication to the ambulatory setting.
• Promotes a culture of service excellence and quality by implementing and accepting
accountability for the following service standards:
o Providing excellent service to patients/customers
o Building strong relationships and team cohesiveness
o Focusing on quality and positive solutions
o Communicating respectfully
o Demonstrating compassion and understanding in response to patient and
• Partners with physicians and the Physician Advisor(s) to build and maintain effective
relationships with physicians, services, specialties, etc.
• Manages structures and processes to facilitate participation by physicians, physical
therapists, clergy, Social Work, and other health professionals in multidisciplinary care
planning, care delivery, and discharge planning.
• Participates in clinical performance improvement activities, including the development of
clinical paths, patient/family education programs, collaborative practice groups and other
• Stays aware of organization developments and initiatives that can be implemented in the
department or work group.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
RN with bachelor’s degree in nursing. Four years of clinical nursing experience in an acute hospital environment. Current license or valid permit to practice professional nursing in Texas. Certification in Care Management CCM or ACM-RN obtained within 3 years.
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd
Galveston, TX 77550