Nurse Care Manager
In alignment with company mission, vision and values, the Nurse Care Manager coordinates and manages service delivery to clients with acute and chronic health issues, optimizing their ability to remain safe, independent and active. Provides services primarily in the home, but may also provide services in the office, in a hospital, in a residential facility such as independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing or in other locations.
CareOptions Nurse Care Manager provides client services that include, but are not limited to:
Assessment & Care Planning
• Conducts a nursing assessment to determine patient’s acute and chronic health issues, and assess mental status and cognitive skills.
• When indicated, performs visual assessment of the home environment, or collaborates with designated staff to coordinate an environmental assessment.
• Gathers input from relevant sources (family, caregivers, medical providers) as needed.
• Discusses common health concerns such as falls, incontinence, changing sleep patterns and sexual issues.
• Explains and recommends adjustments to the patient’s medication regimen, and organizes medications, to ensure adherence.
• Escorts clients to medical appointments to ensure appointment attendance and to facilitate the client’s understanding of physician orders.
• Oversees transitions from hospital to rehab, rehab to home with the goal of preventing re-hospitalization.
• Makes referrals to appropriate community agencies such as crisis intervention, medical, mental, physical needs.
• Provides advocacy for the well-being of the client, while also providing emotional support and conflict resolution to family members.
• Develops a person-centered plan of care designed to meet the client’s needs, with specific objectives, goals, actions and timelines.
• Educates patient about personal safety and disease prevention.
• Provides education and consultation to CareOptions staff around medical needs of clients.
Medical Care Coordination & Advocacy
• Provide medical guidance and advocacy by reviewing: diagnoses, treatment options, tests, medications, and medical records.
• Assist with decision-making regarding medical treatments.
• Assist with: selecting appropriate insurance, navigating Medicare/insurance rules, filing and managing insurance claims, and reviewing medical bills.
Vendor Evaluation and Recommendation
• Evaluates and recommends appropriate skilled nursing and rehab facilities for clients.
• Acts as liaison with home health and home care agencies on behalf of clients and client families.
• Represents North Shore Senior Center and CareOptions in the community at networking functions.
• Provides education to various professional and community groups about North Shore Senior Center, CareOptions and benefits of geriatric care management.
• RN required
• Additional case or care manager certification; may be obtained upon hire.
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in geriatrics and/or care management including experience working with clients in their homes and with clients with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias.
• Knowledge of the aging process and chronic disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
• Experience working with clients at home in the community.
• Passion for working with and serving older adults.
• Knowledge of HIPAA privacy rules and ability to maintain records and information accordingly.
• Ability to make independent decisions when such action is warranted.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to build relationships working with clients, family members, colleagues, community members and other stakeholders.
• Ability to work well as part of a team, as well as be a self-starter and work independently in the field.
• Ability to manage workload and workday utilizing remote office model.
• Ability to work with occasionally demanding or difficult clients/families and to facilitate conflict resolution.
• Sensitivity to cultural diversity.
• Availability to provide services outside of the normal business hours of 9am-5pm.
• Available to rotate with other staff to provide 24/7 emergency support to Ongoing Support clients.
• Knowledge of basic computer programs including the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
• Ability to use current mobile technology such as smartphone and tablet to enhance communication with families, and to access the agency’s information system and resources from remote locations in order to provide services more efficiently and effectively.
• Current CPR/First Aid and membership in Aging Life Care Association (Formerly the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers or NAPGCM) or willingness/ability to become certified/member.
• Current driver’s license, current insurance and access to a reliable car.
North Shore Senior Center
161 Northfield Rd
Northfield, IL 60093